Saturday, May 24, 2008

Voluntary dismissals because suit was brought against wrong party

A lawyer I know is researching cases in which the RIAA sued the wrong party (which is most of the cases, as near as I can tell), and then had to withdraw its claim against that party.

I sent him a partial list of cases off the top of my head where I believe that was the case:

Arista v. Greubel
Atlantic v. Andersen
Atlantic v. Zuleta
BMG v. Thao
Capitol v. Foster
Elektra v. Licata
Elektra v. Perez
Elektra v. Santangelo
Elektra v. Wilke
Interscope v. Leadbetter
Lava v. Amurao
Motown v. Nelson
Priority v. Chan
Virgin v. Marson(I think)
Warner v. Maravilla
Warner v. Paladuk
[Case removed at request of defendant]
Warner v. Stubbs

If you see any on the list that don't belong there, or if you can add to the list, please email me.

I know of a bunch of cases that will eventually be added to the list, because the RIAA sued the wrong party, but this list is just supposed to be cases where the claim has already been discontinued.

Thanks.

Ray



Keywords: digital copyright law online internet law legal download upload peer to peer p2p file sharing filesharing music movies indie independent label freeculture creative commons pop/rock artists riaa independent mp3 cd favorite songs intellectual property

1 comment:

Alter_Fritz said...

One case that definetly should not be forgotten in that list is the one of Warner Bros. v. Scantlebury.

Since "the tree" passed away the case was probably discontinued, or did RIAA hit a even lower low and was going after "the apple"?

The apple and the tree.